do I need an adapeter?

I am an american and will be visiting Japan. I need to know what kind, if any, electrical adapters I need for my appliances (hairdryer/curling Iron, Laptop, etc)


Country: Japan


You don't need a voltage converter, everything should work fine.
The only thing you might need is socket converter, if you're using a grounded device, most Japanese sockets only have 2 prongs. You can purchase a converter for this in Japan.

Kind regards,
Japan is the same as the US 110v

The sockets take two thin straight metal rods about 1cm apart.
NO: Japanese plugs are the same and elecricity is 100 Volts.Happy trip.
Japan is 100 volts AC vs. America 120 volts AC the outlets
are the same, your electrical items will work but may be a bit weak, older buildings don't have polarized or grounded outlets.
Electricity in Japan is 100 Volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. The frequency depends on your location in Japan. Eastern Japan (Tokyo, Kawasaki, Sapporo, Yokohama, Sendai) uses 50 Hz. Western Japan (Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Hiroshima) tends to use 60 Hz. If you travel to Japan with a device that does not accept 100 Volts at 50 Hertz, you will need a voltage converter.

There are three main types of voltage converter. Resistor-network converters will usually be advertised as supporting something like 50-1600 Watts. They are light-weight and support high-wattage electrical appliances like hair dryers and irons. However, they can only be used for short periods of time and are not ideal for digital devices.

Transformers will have a much lower maximum Watt rating, usually 50 or 100. Transformers can often be used continuously and provide better electricity for low wattage appliances like battery chargers, radios, laptop computers, cameras, mp3 players and camcorders. However, they are heavy because they contain large iron rods and lots of copper wire.

Some companies sell combination converters that include both a resistor network and a transformer in the same package. This kind of converter will usually come with a switch that switches between the two modes. If you absolutely need both types of converter, then this is the type to buy.

Japan Plug Adapters and Outlet Shapes
Outlets in Japan generally accept 1 type of plug:
Flat blade plug
If your appliances plug has a different shape, you may need a plug adapter.

Depending on how much you plan to travel in the future, it may be worthwhile to get a combination voltage converter and plug adapter.
No, but irons will be weak. Other appliances should go smoothly.
no. same as in the states. no converter. no adaptor.
No uou don't need and adapeter
is the same as uSA 110v
have a safe fligh and enjoy your stay here
Power runs on 100 hertz in Japan so your American electronics will not run or run very slowly. You definitely should consider an adapter or leave stuff at home. If you stay in a hotel, you will probably have access to a hair dryer. Laptops would need some kind of adapter in order to function properly.
All you need to have is a three prong to two prong adaptor to plug directly into the wall.
Just drop in to Japan, no worry ma friend, enjoy
No, you don't. Your appliance works with 117 volt while in Japan the juice is 100 volt: that means everything from the US works fine except a little bit slower or weaker than your domestic use.
No you won't need an adapter Japan and US use the same 110v no problem.
Actually Japan uses a 100 and 200 volt system. If you are on a short stay and want to use your razor, it should be fine. and most computors today have their own converter build in. that is the big black cumbersome box on your cord. However older devices and hair dryers and such, with prolonged use here will be starved of juice (being only 100v here) and eventually burn out the motor.

More Information

Get travel answers from locals in Japan

Find places to visit in Japan