Palacio Torre Tagle

Address: Ucayali, Lima, Peru

Latitude: -12.0483890

Longitude: -77.0293170

Time Zone: Peru Time

Categories: Culture, Attraction

Tags: Family, Cultural

Reviews

Torre Tagle Palace is a house whose construction is done during the colonial era. It is located on Jiron Ucayali N º 363, in the historic center of Lima, two blocks southeast of the Plaza Mayor. Restored between the years 1954 and 1956 by Spanish architect Andrew Boyer, is now headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Perú.Los materials used in the construction of the Palacio de Torre Tagle were brought from Spain, Panama and Central America.
The Torre Tagle Palace is a Spanish Baroque palace located at Jr. Ucayali 363, in downtown Lima, Peru, a couple blocks east of the Plaza de Armas. The palace currently is home to the Peruvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The palace was commissioned in 1715 (some say 1730) by Don Jose Bernardo de Tagle y Bracho: 1st Marqués of Torre Tagle, who at the time was treasurer of the Royal Spanish fleet, for his own personal use as his home.

The exterior of the palace has a baroque stone doorway. The main facade is made from stone in the first wing and plaster in the second. The style is Sevillian baroque with a strong Mudejar influence. The materials used in its construction were brought from Spain, Panama and Central America.

Apart from carved columns, the palace is distinguished by two finely worked balconies in dark wood. These balconies (or miradors) adapt the European architecture to vernacular Peruvian tradition. The interiors feature Sevillian tiles, plasterwork, wooden columns, lobed Moorish arches and soaring coffered ceilings. It is considered to have a true "Limeño" architectural originality, harmoniously combining Andalusian, Moorish, Criollo and Asian features.
The Torre Tagle Palace is a Spanish Baroque palace located at Jr. Ucayali 363, in downtown Lima, Peru, a couple blocks east of the Plaza de Armas. The palace currently is home to the Peruvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The palace was commissioned in 1715 (some say 1730) by Don Jose Bernardo de Tagle y Bracho: 1st Marqués of Torre Tagle, who at the time was treasurer of the Royal Spanish fleet, for his own personal use as his home.

The exterior of the palace has a baroque stone doorway. The main facade is made from stone in the first wing and plaster in the second. The style is Sevillian baroque with a strong Mudejar influence. The materials used in its construction were brought from Spain, Panama and Central America.

Apart from carved columns, the palace is distinguished by two finely worked balconies in dark wood. These balconies (or miradors) adapt the European architecture to vernacular Peruvian tradition. The interiors feature Sevillian tiles, plasterwork, wooden columns, lobed Moorish arches and soaring coffered ceilings. It is considered to have a true "Limeño" architectural originality, harmoniously combining Andalusian, Moorish, Criollo and Asian features.

The public cannot easily visit the inside, but some visits can be made by appointment only at the office of 'Imagen Institucional del organismo público'.

More Information

Find more places to visit in Lima

Get travel answers from locals in Lima