Catholic Church of Holy Heart of Jesus, Bitola , Macedonia

Address: Sirok Sokak, Bitola, Macedonia

Latitude: 41.0287207

Longitude: 21.3358033

Time Zone: Central Europe Time

Categories: Culture

Tags:

Reviews

The French Lazarist played the most important role in the formation of the first Catholic Parish in Bitola in 1856. The founder of the Parish was Father Zan - Zosef Lepavek. In 1857, from the Bitola’s Valija Redzep Pasha, he bought the hotel Locanda with a total surface of 12.000m2. This hotel was situated on Sirok Sokak, and it was built for the needs of the Turkish army. In the mansard, father Lepavek made a small chapel where on Easter 1857, he served the first holy liturgy, and the chapel was dedicated to the Holy Heart of Jesus. The Catholic mission had a great help by the French Consulate which helped this mission and its work in a various ways. On Sirok Sokak was built a new Catholic Church. This Church build in a baroque style in 1900 was burned in fire. In 1909, on the same place the present Catholic Church in neo - gothic French style was build. The interior of the church is consisted by three altars, a large number of icons and statues with a various size, baptisteries as well as sitting benches for the believers. The most dominant statue of all is the statue of Holy Heart of Jesus, placed in the centre of the main altar. 
The church bell tower was building in 1938 - 1940, and it is a gift by the Slovenian believers.

More Information

Find more places to visit in Bitola

Get travel answers from locals in Bitola