Question

Can anyone tell me some interesting facts about the anderson bridge?

Location

City: Singapore

(none): [None]

Country: Singapore

Answers

Anderson Bridge is a vehicular bridge built across the Singapore River.
The bridge named after the Governor of the Straits Settlements & High Commissioner for the Federated Malay States was completed in 1910/1. Sir John Anderson officially opened the bridge on 12 March 1910. It was part of the Singapore Grand Prix's Marina Bay Street Circuit, which debuted on 28 September 2008.
On 3rd November 2008, the bridge was selected for conservation as part of the Urban Redevelopment Authority's expanded conservation programme.
The bridge displays an excellent combination of intricate plaster and metalwork unmatched by any other local bridge. It has three steel arches with supporting steel ribs extending across them, two rusticated archways and a fluted pier at each end.
During the Japanese Occupation of Singapore (1942–1945), severed heads of criminals were hung on Anderson Bridge as a warning to discourage citizens from breaking the law.
Anderson Bridge still serves as a vehicular bridge connecting the financial district directly to City Hall. It is located near The Fullerton Hotel and the former Merlion Park.
Anderson Bridge is span across the Singapore River. It is located near the river's mouth in Singapore's Central Area.

The bridge was completed in 1910,, and was named after the Governor of the Straits Settlements and High Commissioner for the Federated Malay States (1904–1911), Sir John Anderson, who officially opened the bridge on 12 March 1910. It formed part of the Singapore Grand Prix's Marina Bay Street Circuit, which debuted on 28 September 2008.

In the 1990s, due again to the increasing vehicular traffic flow between the northern and southern bank of the Singapore River, the Esplanade Bridge was built to provide faster access between Marina Centre and the financial district of Shenton Way. Construction of the 260-metre long bridge in front of the mouth of the Singapore River began in early 1994 and was completed in 1997.

Anderson Bridge currently still serves as a vehicle bridge, and connects the financial district directly to City Hall. The bridge is located near The Fullerton Hotel (previously Fullerton Building) and the former Merlion Park.

On 3 November 2008, the bridge was selected for conservation as part of the Urban Redevelopment Authority's expanded conservation programme.

The bridge forms a distinctive part of the Formula One Singapore Street Circuit.
You can also get more information on Anderson bridge at website

River cruises sail under it, the F1 cars go over it, as do normal vehicle traffic when the F1 isn't on. The Fullerton Hotel, One Fullerton, Merlion Park and Esplanade are on one end and the Padang, the Singapore Cricket Club, Asian Civilizations Museum, Victoria Concert Hall and Parliament House (Old and New) are on the other side.

More Information

Get travel answers from locals in Singapore

Find places to visit in Singapore